Frequently Asked Questions Disc Publisher Series
1. What are the main differences between the two disc publishers?
- Disc Capacity:
- Disc Publisher SE-3 has a 20 disc capacity.
- Disc Publisher DP-4052 has a 50 disc capacity.
- Disc Publisher DP-4200-Series has a 100 disc capacity.
- DP-4200 Autoprinter has a 100 disc capacity.
- Disc Publisher SE-3 has 1 recording drive.
- Disc Publisher SE-3 Autoprinter has no recording drive. Printer only.
- Disc Publisher DP-4052 has 1 recording drive.
- Disc Publisher DP-4201 has 1 recording drive.
- Disc Publisher DP-4202 has 2 recording drives.
- DP-4200 Autoprinter has no drives. Printer only.
- Rack Mountable:
- External Catch Bin:
Disc Publisher SE-3 and DP-4200 Series are available wether with CD/DVD drive or with CD/DVD/BD drive.
Disc Publisher DP-4201 and DP-4202 are networkable with optional PT Publisher Network Edition.
Disc Publisher DP-4200 XRPs are rack mountable.
Disc Publisher DP-4200-Series feature an external disc catch bin.
2. What is the average cost per disc?
It depends upon the amount of coverage and the colours used in your designs.
Disc Publisher SE-3: at 50% coverage at medium print resolution, cost per print can range from 0.03 € to 0.28 €.
Disc Publisher DP-4200 Series: at 50% coverage at medium print resolution, cost per print can range from 0.03 € to 0.20 €.
A few examples of disc costs you can also compare here: Disc Cost Comparison.
3. How many discs can you print per ink cartridge or set of ink carts?
It depends upon the amount of coverage and the colours used in your designs
Disc Publisher SE-3 and DP-4200 Series: at 50% coverage at medium print resolution, you’ll get about 300 to 500 prints per ink cartridge.
4. What operating systems do these printers support?
Windows: 7 and 10+
Mac: OS X v10.7+ (Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks, El Capitan)
Regarding Windows XP, our printer drivers will still work on it.
However, since Microsoft has ceased support for XP, we have no choice but to also no longer support XP.
5. What is the highest resolution each printer is capable of printing?
Both models can print up to 4800 dpi.
6. Do the printers come with software to design my labels?
Yes, they come with a basic design program for Windows called SureThing™ and a basic design software for Mac called DiscCover. Both programs allow you to import graphics, logos, etc. You can also design your disc layouts in a full-featured design program, save them as high-resolution .jpg, .tiff, .bmp, .png or .pdf files and use our software to arrange them onto your media size and print. Or, you can print directly from your own graphic design software, for example, Adobe Illustrator, as long as that software allows you to change the page size(s) to the size(s) of your disc.
7. Does any publishing software come with the printers?
Yes. Disc Publisher SE-3 and DP-4200 Series come with software for both Windows and Mac. The included Windows software is PTPublisher and SureThing CD Label Software. For Mac users we include PTPublisher for Mac OS X 10.7 or higher with Disc Cover design software.
8. Do I have to buy my discs and ink from you?
No, you are free to purchase discs from anyone you choose. They just need to be coated for aqueous inkjet printing. We recommend our white gloss WaterShield and WaterSafe or white matte discs, as they are Primera certified inkjet printable media, and designed for high resolution printing on on-demand disc printers. Detailed information can be found here: http://primera.eu/en/pages/optical-media.html. For non-Primera discs, you’ll see varying levels of water-resistance, gloss and other characteristics. Remember to always test first! Our ink carts are designed specifically for our printers. So, you won’t generally find them at brick-and-mortar retail stores. However, thousands of online resellers have them in stock as does Primera distributors.
9. Are your ink cartridges refillable?
No, they are not. They are designed and manufactured for one-time-only use.
10. How often do I need to change my print head?
Disc Publisher SE-3 and Disc Publisher DP-4200 Series utilize a single tri-colour ink cartridge for cyan, magenta and yellow (CMY) that combines colours to make a process black. The print head is integrated with the ink cartridge. Therefore, there is no need to ever “replace” your print head, as you get a new one with each cartridge change.
11. I have more questions. How can I get them answered?
Primera has one of the best online Knowledge Bases available in the industry. You can access it 24/7 at primera.eu or, call sales or support at +49 611 927770. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or use the online live chat on our website.
12. Who is Primera?
Headquartered in Plymouth, Minnesota, Primera Technology, Inc. is the world‘s leading developer and manufacturer of specialty printing equipment including Disc Publishers and Label Printers.
Primera distributes its products in more than 200 countries with service and support for North America and South America from Plymouth, Minnesota. EMEA customers are serviced and supported from Wiesbaden, Germany through Primera Europe. Primera Asia Pacific, located in Hong Kong, serves customers in Asia Pacific.
Specifications are subject to change without notice.